Saturday, October 2, 2010

Another Baby Shower


I was invited to another baby shower for 2 mommies-to-be. Strangely, one of the mommies is bringing the main courses, the other mommy is also bringing food too. This is a non-traditional shower, but hey, friends gatherings are always enjoyable, who cares what it’s called?

I have a busy schedule today. Chocolate class finishes at 12 noon, 1pm is the shower, 2:45pm kids’ art class starts, 4:30pm is my long time White Rose friend’s wedding in Vaughan. Oh, Linda looked so pretty in her wedding gown! I can tell Linda spent so much time in planning this. You can tell that she a perfectionist from the wedding favours she made for her guest. She designed the invitation card, program book, she hand wrapped and tied the gifts one by one, I think she made the ornament herself too. The wedding was perfect! Every one of the hundred guests participated in the games and we all had fun. Too bad I forgot my camera at home. It was a beautiful wedding.


So I ended up managed to go to every event. It’s a busy day, but I enjoyed every part of it.
This was the cake I brought to baby shower in the afternoon. It’s a Japanese cheesecake loved by one of the mommies and host of the party. I love it when I don’t have to guess whether the audience will like what I make or not. I had not made this for awhile, still as good as I remember it was.

Adapted from Food.com
SERVES 6 -8
• 7 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
• 1/4 cup whole milk
• 1/2 cup superfine sugar (I reduced it to 1/3 cup because I also reduced lemon juice in the recipe)
• 3 eggs, separated
• 1/4 cup cornstarch
• 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
• 2 1/2 cups boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spray a 8-inch cake tin with cooking oil spray.
3. Beat cream cheese with milk to soften.
4. Add half of the sugar, egg yolks, cornstarch and lemon juice.
5. Beat until smooth.
6. Beat egg whites in a separate bowl until foamy.
7. Gradually add remaining sugar and cream of tartar, beating on high speed until soft peaks form, about 8-10 minutes.
8. Gradually fold beaten egg whites into the cream cheese mixture, stirring gently.
9. Pour into cake pan and smooth the surface.
10. Place cake pan into a larger roasting pan and place in lower rack of oven.
11. Pour enough water into the roasting pan to come half way up the side of the cake pan.
12. Bake 35-40 minutes, until a pick inserted in the middle of the center comes out clean.
13. If the surface becomes too dark while baking cover with a piece of tin foil, but be careful not to open the oven door until it has been in the oven for at least 20 minutes.
14. Let it cool in the oven with the door ajar by sticking a wooden spoon at the opening. You can leave it overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment