Sunday, June 6, 2010

Easy Cream Biscuits - No Butter!



As usual, after each unsuccessful project, I always like to make something easy to boost my self-esteem.  I found this looks to be super easy biscuit recipe from America's Test Kitchen - total kneading time was one minute (no, it's not a typo, just one minute - 30 secs + 30 secs), baking time was 15 mins, 5 ingredients with no butter.  I thought, it's not greasy at all and it wouldn't hurt to try.  I even added some walnuts to make them a little different.



Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour

2 tsp sugar

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 cup heavy cream

I added 1/4 cups of chopped walnuts

Note:  The recipe didn't mention egg wash.  I forgot to do it and the biscuits came out very pale.

Method:

Preheat oven to 425F.  Leave rack on upper middle position.

Sift all dry ingredients together, mix in with walnuts (or you can add shredded cheese or fresh herbs)

Pour 1 1/4 cup of cream in the dry ingredients.

Use wooden spoon to stir/knead it for 30 secs.

Put dough on floured surface, add remaining 1/4 cup of cream (1 tbsp by 1 tbsp) to the leftover dry flour mixture in the bowl until they just turn moist.  Add them to the big dough.

Knead for another 30 secs.

Form the dough to 3/4" thick.

Cut dough into 2 1/2" rounds with cookie cutter.

Put them upside down on parchment paper lined baking sheet.  Brush them with egg wash.

Bake to light brown, approx. 15 mins.


Very easy.  I'll make them again with cheese and herbs next time.  Have to be careful with the cream though.  I put a little too much in the dough.  It was too moist, but acceptable.  I was amazed how fluffy they were without the butter.



1 comment:

  1. ... but 1.5 cups of whipping cream = 0.5 cup of butter! :p

    ReplyDelete