Thursday, June 17, 2010

Wonton Soup


Haven’t made wonton for a long time.  The last time which I remember making it was with my mom before I got married, my son is turning 7 next month!  So I decided to make some and see if my kids like them.  I spent about 1 hour to prepare the filling and wrapped 50 wontons last night.  I mixed ground pork, mushrooms, and bok choy as the filling.  My shoulders were sore!  They turned out quite well I think.  I even made special kind with pureed carrots to replace the bok choy inside for Adrian because he doesn’t like any veggies. The kids ate only a little bit and stopped.  I was very disappointed at first, but after they told me what they had eaten at grandma’s house after school, I understood why.  The quantity of food they had was almost equivalent to a full meal!  Livie said she liked the wontons, Adrian liked the carrot ones.  Ho, being on diet, ate about 10 of them.  I still have about 25 left in the freezer.  This will be a quick an easy lunch for Ho if he eats at home sometimes.

Filling ingredients:

1/2 lb ground pork

1 small bunch of bokchoy, chopped

6 dried mushrooms, chopped, lightly season with salt, sugar, rice wine, and corn starch

Meat Marinade:

1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon mirin
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoon white sugar
ground black pepper to taste
2 1/2 tablespoons water

1 package of Shanghai wonton wrappers

1 egg beaten

Method:

Soak whole mushroom in cold water the night before, chop it to small pieces.

Wrap 2 tsp of filling in each wrapper.

Seal each with egg.

Bring a pot of water to boil.  Slide wontons into boiling water.

Boil wonton for 12-14 mins.

Add 1/2 cup of cold water to the pot. This will prevent the wrapper from breaking.

Remove wonton from water once the water turns boiling again.

Wonton can be eaten with any type of dipping sauce like dark vinegar, chili soy sauce, or regular soy sauce.  Or, simply serve wonton in chicken broth.  Boil extra veggies in broth to add the colour of your meal.

I tried wrapping the wonton in different ways.  This was the final “design” I used.




Ho went to pick up the kids from grandma’s so I could start making dinner early. Thanks for the long day time, sunlight was still available after I made my first bowl of wonton soup.


This is the special carrot filled wonton I made for Adrian.  I could have put less carrot next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment