Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Strawberry Chiffon Cake


Strawberries are on sale!  I love strawberries!  I controlled myself and bought only 2 lbs.  Yet when I went to my in-laws house on Monday, my mother-in-law said, "The strawberries were very cheap.  I bought extra, do you want to take some home for baking?"  Of course!

This is a recipe I had adapted from Little Corner of Mine.  I have reduced  sugar on the ingredients list.

(A)
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/3 cup sugar

(B)
1/2 cup canola oil
6 egg yolks
3/4 cup strawberries puree (Use a blender and puree 5-6 strawberries in 1/2 cup of water and sieved)
1 tsp. imitation strawberry extract

(C)
6 egg whites
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
2/3 cup sugar

(D)
1 cup of  strawberries, finely cubed

1/3 cup of pecans, blended to powder stage

I added strawberries to enhance the flavour because I didn't have extract at home.  Pecan powder was just a test.  It didn't affect the texture but I couldn't taste the difference.  I may add more next time.

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 350'F.

2. Sift (A) in a big bowl. Stir to mix. Add (B) and use an electric mixer to mix until incorporated, set aside.

3. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in another bowl until soft peak, then gradually add in the sugar. Beat until stiff peak is formed. Fold 1/3 of the white mixture into the yolk batter gently but thoroughly. Then, add 1/3 of the whites and do the same until all the whites is used.

4. Fold in (D) strawberries cubes and pecan powder if using.

5. Pour batter into a tube pan, give it a knock on the table. Bake for 50-60 mins or until a tooth pick inserted come out clean. Invert the pan and let the cake cool inside the pan. When cooled, loosen the edges and remove the cake to cool completely on a wire rack.

You can see the pecan powder in the batter.




The cake was so soft that I had to flip it with the rack.


The strawberries shrunk and left holes in the cake, which I don't mind.



It'll be nice to serve it with yogurt but I only have cottage cheese at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment