Wednesday, June 9, 2010

White Chocolate Mango Cream Cake



It’s Ho’s aunt’s birthday and I offered to bake a cake for her.  Well, they kind of expected it anyway since we haven’t bought a cake since Jennifer and I took up baking.  After probing several times on what flavour the cake she would like, finally we decided on mango cream.

While my weekend try out was not so successful, I decided to change the fresh cream to half topping, half cream.  Luckily I found alphonso mangoes from an Indian grocery store, that enhanced the flavour.  Since I was still not confident enough with the cake, I added some white chocolate blades for decorations.  Main purpose was to distract the audience. :-)  As you can tell, those blades with holes were made first because I didn't know how much chocolate to put on the knife and how much pressure I needed to use to form the shape.  With more practice, they were formed properly.



Ho volunteered to write the greetings so I melted some dark chocolate for him.  He always has good handwriting.  He did a good job too.  Ho things the cake is not photogenic at all because the real thing looks better.  I agree.  Maybe it’s the lighting.



It was a time consuming cake.  I didn't finish it until 1:40am this morning!  Will post the recipe later.


The taste was quite good!  Only the sponge cake was still a bit dry.  So far out of all sponge cakes I had tried, I like Martha Stewart's Vanilla Sponge Cake the most.

2 comments:

  1. That looks time consuming enough, no wonder you had to stay up that late!
    I think using the back of the spoon might be easier than a knife for the chocolate decoration. But that looks so good already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually once u have done a few, it's fast. doesn't take long at all. it's just i had to stop n tuck the kids in to bed as i was the only one with them that night.

    ReplyDelete