Sunday, February 21, 2010

Chocolate Macaroon Cake with Toasted Meringue Frosting



I did it!  When I saw the picture from Fine Cooking Magazine, I said to myself, "I'm going to make it one day."  It's Jennifer's birthday and she likes macaroon.  So I found this macaroon cake recipe and was just wondering what I could put on there to dress it up.  Then I found from Zoe Bakes blog that she did the toasted meringue.  So I thought, "maybe I can really try it."  Thanks to Cherry, I don't need to buy the torch right away.



The original recipe called for 1.5 cups of egg whites, Zoe used 1 cup.  I followed Zoe's 1 cup recipe and had almost half left.  Yet her cake was a layered cake.  I would say, 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup will be enough to cover a small cake like mine.  I also reduced to sugar to 1 and 2/3 cup of sugar.  Reduced sugar in the cake recipe and macaroon recipe.  The sweetness level is just right for me.  Links to recipes are listed at the bottom of this post.









Look at the coconut macaroons inside the cake!



Still have half a cake left. Will bring it to work tomorrow.  Covered the cut side with remaining meringue.  Not sure how it will be like tomorrow.



http://www.recipezaar.com/Chocolate-Macaroon-Cake-Bundt-Cake-90444

http://zoebakes.com/?p=2718

No comments:

Post a Comment