Sunday, May 16, 2010

Hokkaido Milky Loaf



My husband has been bugging me on making Japanese white bread.  I googled it and realized a lot of people were looking for the recipe too.  Someone posted this site, and wow, what a great collection!

http://schneiderchen.de/237Hokkaido-Milky-Loaf.html

The original recipe was enough to make 2 loaves.  Here's my modified version for one 9" loaf:

Ingredients:

  • 270 g Bread flour
  • 30 g Cake flour
  • 5 g Dry active yeast
  • 15 g Milk powder
  • 40 g Sugar
  • 5 g Salt
  • 1 pc egg
  • 125 ml Fresh milk
  • 75 ml Whipping cream


Method:

  1. Sift all dry ingredients except salt together.
  2. Warm milk and whipping cream to 40C.
  3. Add #2 milk mixture to yeast in large mixing bowl.
  4. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of dry ingredients on #3 milk mixture and leave it aside without moving it.
  5. Once the flour starts to crack, about 20 mins, add remaining dry ingredients plus salt and start kneading with electric mixer.
  6. Add the egg.
  7. After 5 mins of kneading, scrape bowl and knead for 1-2 mins.
  8. Shape dough into ball and cover with damp cloth.  Proof until double in size.
  9. Punch down dough and knead a few times.
  10. Shape it into a log and put in a greased 9" loaf pan. Let it proof to at least same height of the pan or a little taller.  Mine took almost 3 hours!



 11. Brush with egg wash or milk. (I forgot about this part)

 12. Bake in preheated 340F oven for 35 mins.

Tip: Check after 10 mins, if it starts getting too brown, cover it with foil.

I added a little too much flour when I finished the dough.  The bread was a little dense and not as moist as I wanted it to be but the taste is good and close enough to those from J-Town.  I'll try it again with exactly the same as what I wrote above and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment