Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Artic Mandarin Cheese Pie (No Bake)

Naa, didn't bake this tonight, not that crazy.   Found this recipe from a recipe book for diabetics.  Sounds super easy, so I gave it a try.  Mixed 1 block of 8 oz cream cheese and 6 oz of thawed orange juice together, then stir in 1 cup of whipped cream.  Pour the mixture in a prebaked pie shell bought from store.  Cover and freeze for 4 hours. That's it!   I did this on Saturday.  We had too many desserts on Saturday already, including my mango bavarian cream, Jennifer's creme brulee, and cookies from GB!  We were so full that day that I didn't even bother to take the pie out from the freezer.

This is the pie before decorations.


Used one 10 fl oz can of mandarins to cover the top.


This kids were behaving very well tonight, so I offered this treat to them.  According to the recipe, I just need to remove the pie from freezer 10 mins from serving time, and decorate it with mandarins will be fine.  However, 10 mins are not enough because I could still feel the ice in my mouth.  As this was from a cookbook for diabetics, original asked for fat free cream cheese and whipped topping.  I've never seen fat free cream cheese in the stores I go to.  I have fresh whipping cream at home.  So my version is not exactly for diabetics.  Yet, it's still not too sweet. Ho thinks it's ok, just can't feel the smoothness with the ice in centre.  Adrian didn't like it, but he ate 2/3 of it!  Livie rejected it as usual like she rejects ice cream.  "Too cold, mommy!".  Ok, if I'm going to make it again, I think I'll do a lime flavour and let it sit in the fridgerator for half a day.  It should be better.

2 comments:

  1. I have seen low fat cream cheese but never fat free cream cheese. Nevermind I almost never buy low fat versions of anything other than milk, as I am always worried about hydrogenated oils and modified proteins.

    Didn't know Livie doesn't like ice cream. Who doesn't like ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She will ask for ice cream but will never finish the whole serving. She's a healthy girl, doesn't like anything too sweet or too cold. Like me!

    ReplyDelete